Pages


Thursday, January 12, 2012

ARTIST

Am I an artist?  I love to write.  I'm not sure, really, if I'm any good.  I'm working to reinforce that - allowing myself to believe that.  Can I say  "I am an artist" and believe it?  I guess I feel like if I say that, am I being pompous?  Really, I'm just trying to figure out what the heck I'm all about.   Bob Dylan said, "An artist is always in a state of becoming."  Clearly, most of us are no Dylan - heaven knows I'm not.  But if an artist is always in a state of becoming, then perhaps I can actually say that I am an artist.  I'm also reading Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way".  There's a section in the book where she talks about not comparing the work you're doing right now with the masterwork of an artist who does what you want to do/love to do.  I was actually doing that - comparing my writing to major writers and poets.

What do I already know?  I know I love to write, especially poetry. Lets do this.  If I keep "trying" and "working toward" I'll never get anywhere.  When I believe something with all that I am, then I can manifest it.  The Law of Attraction isn't magic - it's about your own belief and drive giving you what you need to get where you want to go - and enjoy the journey too!

Lets do this. Now.

I AM AN ARTIST.

I give myself permission to suck.  I give myself permission to write bad poetry.  I give myself permission to grow and get better.  I give myself permission to be my complete, uncensored, oddball self.

I DO NOT GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION TO GIVE UP OR TO DOUBT MY ART.

What is a writer?  A writer is a person who cannot imagine a day without writing, regardless of whether anyone sees it or likes it.


What is an author?  An author is a person who is lucky enough to get paid to be a writer.

Sometimes I DO suck.  Other times, maybe a flash of something special.  We all have that.  But I can't second guess myself anymore.  I am a writer.  I am a poet.  This is who I am.  Maybe you can' t stand what I write. Maybe you like it.  Either way, this is who I am. It's OK either way, I'm glad you stopped by to read me for a minute - I appreciate it.  I want you to feel something - whether you like it or even if you think I can't write to save my life.  Just have an opinion!

Bless you on your life's journey - may all who stop by here be blessed with the opportunity to do that which makes them feel passionate and excited about life every day. 








No comments: