Pages


Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer's Child

My hair has grown long enough now that I find myself twirling it between my fingers all the time.  Anyone who knows me will tell you this is a habit that goes back a long time.  I have done this since I was a very little girl.

Today, I was driving through the stunning Vermont scenery,  and took a strand of hair that I was twirling and brought it around and made a mustache, above my upper lip. Now, THAT is something I don't think I've done in decades.  This old reflex, come back to life after so long, brought a huge smile to my face when I realized what I had done.

I was instantly transported back to summer evenings, riding bikes with all of the neighborhood kids, climbing trees, picking and eating raspberries and blackberries right off the bushes, and generally just running wild and thoroughly enjoying it. We all had similar instructions, we could stay outside until it got dark.  When the street lights came on, it was time to come in. Of course, everyone tried to get just a few more minutes, and all the doors would open as our moms yelled out for each of us to get home.

I'd come home covered in sand, dirt and tree sap from my adventures.   My mother would always say "Bethy Ann, do you have to come home covered in dirt from  head to toe?"  From there, it was off to the huge claw-foot bathtub for me, to find the girl under the dirt.

It's funny how a small thing can trigger a memory.  This one was so sweet, just like those berries, so I thought I'd share it.



No comments: