Pages


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wildlife

There is all manner of wildlife here today.  Ducks with blue-green heads, red-winged blackbirds, sparrows, robins, and a great blue heron have all been here today to represent our feathered friends.  That is only what I can see.  I have heard more bird calls this morning than I think perhaps I've heard in a very long time.  I wish I knew them all by sound. A chipmunk skittered by looking for a snack while I was sitting and writing.  There are several kinds of fish in the pond.  I can't identify them by sight, but there are some solid black ones that are jumping out of the water, making an impressive show as they gobble up the water bugs.  And of course there are insects, I've seen the sleek, fast honeybees darting about, and the fuzzy slow bumblebees making their way toward the flowers growing by the pond.

There are also children here.  I count children as wildlife, because we haven't fully civilized them yet.  I think this is a good thing, it's the reason why they fascinate us so, and the reason they bring a smile to our lips.  We can remember being so.  They are simply themselves,  It is not important to them to be sophisticated, or to impress anyone.  They can simply be, almost like the rest of the wildlife that is here at the pond.

This was a very good place to come for my Sunday writing time.  What a truly beautiful spot.  


No comments: