Pages


Friday, March 30, 2012

I'm The Fan

Most people close to me know I'm crazy about Alter Bridge.  They're amazing. Their music really connects at a very elemental, soul level. They write in a way that connects with where people are at.  They're outstanding musicians, and they act like regular, everyday people. Superior songwriting, lyrics that people really identify with, and I could write for days about Myles voice alone!  We haven't heard a voice like Myles has in decades, make no mistake about it. There are also quite a few Creed songs that I'm crazy about, and find quite inspiring. Scott Stapp has a stunningly beautiful baritone, singular tone, unmistakable when you hear it.

I'm a huge fan of Slash, everything he's ever done. One of the best guitarists rock has ever seen.  His drive for excellence, his focus on  his craft, nobody better!  Keeping RnFnR alive! Having said that I am also a big D.J. Ashba fan. I really like D.J.'s playing, and that crazy, beautiful spirit of his that comes through when he plays. Some people just have such a light inside, you know? When D.J. plays, you can SEE his.

I'm nuts for Nikki Sixx. Talented, inspiring, I follow everything he does avidly. I'm a huge Motley Crue fan. I love Sixx: A.M. I've read all of Nikki's books, and I listen to Sixxsense. Nikki's particular view of the world through his camera lens is very compelling and I'm always looking forward to seeing what he'll show us next.  Nikki is inspiring on many levels - overcoming yourself, your past and tough situations, facing yourself in the everday, living your life with honesty, and his ability to keep reinventing himself - we all need to do that!  He really keeps life cool and interesting.  I'm also a huge fan of Sully Erna. I have lots of Godsmack on my i-pod, and Sully's solo album, "Avalon" is absolutely amazing, unique and worth a listen.  I listen to it on a regular basis, it's one of a kind.

My point? I'm the fan. Something you did made me watch, listen. A light went on, and it made a difference, that thing you did. Yes. I'm the fan. I choose. And my choice? My choice is NOT TO CHOOSE. I'm going to keep watching and listening to whatever makes that feeling come back.  I don't have to choose, regardless of what my fellow fans think. I know, no one actually said I had to, but I wanted to go on record anyway. And if you guys like and respect each other that's very cool...if you don't I can't do anything about that, either. It's your life, rock it the way you want!  Just know that what you do makes a difference. And I won't choose.  May all of the light you shine for us when you share your art be reflected back to each of you.  Thank you.

No comments: