Pages


Friday, April 17, 2015

On Album Sales and The Music Business

 A "hater" set me off this morning and this is the result.

The music industry is changing and it has been for years. We had Gene Simmons saying "rock is dead." No Gene, rock is not dead, you just can't become filthy idiot rich in rock 'n roll at the moment.

Based on the number of indie bands that I follow, it's far from dead. And neither are other genres, there's a lot going on out there. The indie bands and artists that I follow are working their asses off, holding down day jobs, making albums, talking to people on social media...frankly I think they're heroes. I have albums that I have purchased from good friends who put those albums out themselves, right next to my "known" bands like Foo. I know everything that went into the effort to make those happen. Raising the money, keeping the band together despite day to day responsibilities, getting the word out...still, I know so many people that won't go to a show and see a band that's playing original music, they have to have those covers.

Look, I'm not trashing cover bands, but why not branch out and go see a band that plays their originally written songs, and buy some CDs from them while you're there? Follow them on social media, show up at shows, support them, tell people how great they are. Post about them on Facebook and Twitter.

So, yeah, the music business has changed-and a true music fan finds a way to support what they love, because in the end we are the ones to make or break these bands, not record companies. The old-style record companies are hanging on but they're not what they were. We fans are the ones that will make the difference as things continue to change.

If you'd like a place to start, listen to Blisstique or check out Glenn Stewart's latest album. Or follow bands you like on Twitter, trust me the independent artists will find YOU. See what's going on in your area, go see some shows.

No comments: