Pages


Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Little Dickens

I watched the classic Alastair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol" last night. I've always been a fan of this particular version, because of the stellar character actors, and Sim's performance in general. He had such an expressive face, and that laughing at the end...simply perfect.

I have seen so many performances of "A Christmas Carol" over the years. I have also read the story, many times.

For some reason, a particular line of dialogue stood out to me last night. The moment comes when Scrooge and The Ghost of Christmas Past are about to depart his rooms, and Scrooge says that he is afraid to fall.

The ghost says "Bear but a touch of my hand.....and you shall be upheld in more than this."

There is so much in this short line! Clearly for Scrooge, trusting this agent of good would do more for him than stop him from falling. A win-win for Scrooge, Yes?

But what about us?  I got to thinking...when WE offer help to each other, isn't the good that comes of it so often more than the simple act itself?

Really listening and delighting in a conversation with someone, picking a friend up from the airport, letting someone know something they created touched you, or bringing the crossing guard at your kid's school a coffee....small examples of everyday things we can all do.

I don't want to sound Pollyanna. But I do know when someone does something for me, the happy feeling goes beyond just what they did.

And, I feel great when I help someone else. There's that win-win again.

We can all be agents of good in each other's lives. Charles Dickens. Pretty smart dude, I'd say.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments: