Pages


Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Human Being Challenge

I've been called

Liberal 
Witch
Cunt 
Fucking Democrat
Delusional 
White Woman
Flirt
Whore

I guess in the end, I'd prefer "Beth".  

I've heard others called:

Liberal
Conservative 
Idiot
Moron
Nigger
Nazi
Junkie
Facist 
Atheist 
Whore 
Cunt 
Fat ass
Zionist
Terrorist
Gang member
Brainless
Animal 
Dirty
Sub Human
Worthless

I myself have recently used the following labels to for people:

Stupid assholes
Baby killers
"Freakin Pubs"
Black Hearted Greed Hounds
Druggie 
I commonly refer to Dick Cheney as "The Anti-Christ"

Honestly.  We can't do this anymore.

I can't do this anymore.

Every time we decide someone needs a label, we dehumanize them, and ourselves.  We decide that they are lesser than us, that they do not have the same rights as we do, that there is something intrinsically wrong or bad about them.  Why?  

Because they do not think or believe the way we do.  And that makes us angry, or it scares us.  Anger is just another form of fear, anyway.

We're not all going to agree all the time.  We already know that. Yes, there are huge issues and challenges going on right now.  And people are dying, every day - because of one simple thing.  Our collective inability to put "THAT IS A HUMAN BEING" above ANY OTHER THOUGHT, NEED OR BELIEF. 

I am going to challenge myself.

Every time I want to spit out some nasty description, every time my fear or anger tells me that I have a RIGHT, that I have JUSTIFIED REASONS to count that person as less, every time I want to use a label - I want to STOP.  I want to catch myself.  I want to take deep breaths and ask myself  "Is this really going to help anything, if I do/say this?"  

I can't walk around believing that only people that are easy for me to get along with are worthy, beautiful, and amazing.  We all are.  Even people whose fear has made them act in ugly ways. I don't have any answers to anything.  I just know I can't pick and choose anymore.  I have to draw a line.  I have to stop.





No comments: