Pages


Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What Frequency Are You On?



I was listening to Tom Petty the other day, nothing unusual there, certainly. It's also not at all unusual for me to listen to a song and entirely leave the plane of reality and go on a little trip for a few moments, just letting the music carry me along.

The song "Supernatural Radio" was in the mix of songs on my iPod.

"I can hear you singing
On my supernatural radio.
I hear you singing
On my supernatural radio".

I started to think about radio frequencies, and the parallel Petty and the boys are drawing here, radio frequencies being compared to human frequencies. We all connect on so many different levels don't we?


We all meet thousands of people over the course of a lifetime, and we connect with them on many different levels. I've always found it interesting the way we can meet someone and have an instant connection with them, but not with others.

I love thinking about this kind of thing. Sometimes my highly empathic nature means I get overwhelmed during interactions with other people, but I've stopped running from it. I understand now that it's part of who I am, and I'm getting better at understanding what is "my stuff" and maybe what I am picking up on from other people. It's a work in progress.

It's a beautiful thing to think about, just basic human connections. Whether it's our connections with family, friends, co-workers, people we know from town, Twitter friends, or the person who sold us our coffee this morning...we each woke up this morning and this day - it's ours - we can do anything we want with it.

And it seems to me that more often than not lately, I'm finding lots of reasons and many times that I am on the same frequency as another person.

We all have bad days but honestly, I'd rather at least attempt to have positive interactions with people. I don't always succeed but I make the effort. Maybe our friendly or happy interaction with someone could make their day, who knows? Could be the person you meet tomorrow will end up being someone amazingly important in your life.

Someone you chat with could mention a book or song that starts off an entire new chapter of your life because it gives you an idea. You don't know what a difference you make just by walking through your day and connecting with others.

I just know.....all of sudden I'm just very aware of it....and it's fun.

"One-hundred million watts 
Yeah I'm picking up a signal 
Yeah it's a hundred million watts--raw power

2 comments:

KevAtomic said...

This is awesome! I've always believed that we all have a "frequency" kind of like a fingerprint that's barely audible, if at all. I used to "hear" my grandmother walking down the hallway-not her footsteps, but this really high pitched "sensation" as she approached when I was a child.

Beth said...

Thank you, very much!