Pages


Sunday, September 10, 2023

Forest Moments

 Red dragonflies dart just above the surface of the water, while endless birds swirl and dive, darting back and forth above the little pond.  Is that a tadpole swimming there?  

I feel at peace in places like this.  The structure and pace of our society has always seemed so bizarre, so harsh to me, and so I come to the forest.  

The tall ones will teach you, but you must learn to shut up, both internally and externally.  For just a few moments, stop being the center of your own attention.  Inhale the sweet earthy scent. Simply breathe, slowly.  How often do you actually fill your lungs, and breathe slowly?  Most of us pass our days taking shallow breaths, like a golden retriever out in the sun too long.  Enjoy the air, and just watch the wind play in the trees.  

I place my hand on one of the ancient stone monoliths left here during the ice age.   Their presence here is comforting.  They are far too huge for the developers to move, and so I tell myself they will never come here and pave over this place.  

Are places like this our Mother's last stand, places where it's too hard to make a profit?  I'm getting upset.  Just for this moment, I put it all aside.  I leave my hand on the huge stone before me.  Just stand and breathe.  

You have been here since the Ice Age.  You will be here long after me.  My heart is at peace in this knowledge.  Your wisdom is far beyond us.  

I sit for a very long time, enjoying the breeze, the trees, the animals and the stones. I am returned to center and I am myself once again.  

I will always come here. 

No comments: