Pages


Saturday, August 8, 2020

Legacy Unraveled

 I have always been unraveling

That which the world would make of me 

In doing so, I have pulled your strings, too

You haven't always liked the unraveling 

But I just kept finding those strings 

Unable to refrain from picking at things that felt wrong

More instinct than intention at first 

My questions and my ways making waves

I see now why I was often such an irritant 

But there was no other way for me

From the beginning, I saw the holes in it

In the way we were taught to be 

Woman, blinded and powerless 

Invisible, made right only in her disappearance 

And so you gave it all to them

Making of them Prince Valiant 

They wore it like a heavy, ill fitting coat 

It wasn't right for them 

But if they took it off, what then?

They tried to dull the pain of dragging it around

While you watched proudly, your own life force spilling out

Everyone filling roles that were killing them 

You all stood around saying it was holy

And I was incredulous, shaken with the horror of it 

The Princes had to wear the coat you fashioned

Miserable in the wearing, pretending a perfect fit 

There never seemed to be  relief 

Sex, drinking, praying, hating, loving....

Nothing worked

Only in taking OFF that coat are they free 

And few  are up to the task 

It takes immense strength, every day 

But when they do

Those very few strong ones

I stand with them 

For I am one who sees 

And when truth finally reigns 

I use all that I am 

To protect, support and make easy the way 

Yes 

I unravel myself, and all around me  

Pulling on every string that smells false 

It  is my nature 

I may unravel you in doing so if you stand too close 

So stand back if you wish to remain as you are 

There is beauty, truth and freedom in the unraveling 

But it is not for the faint of heart 

Nor the weak in spirit 



No comments: