Pages


Wednesday, October 17, 2018

On Reclamation


It’s happening at my pace. It’s happening gently.

One day, it might be finding the blessings in a traffic jam caused by road work. (Hey! Someone is spending money on infrastructure !) The next day, it might be finding a way to laugh and move on after a frustrating work situation.

Sometimes, reclamation is stopping myself as fear arrives to try once again to tell me old stories, stories that tell me to contract, to defend, to struggle, to try really hard, to push, and to exert control. I don’t have to believe those stories anymore, I can write new ones. Those frenetic, panic based tactics never brought any real results anyway. Why go back to that? In these moments of pause, reclamation helps me find the balance between the doing and the letting go, the being, knowing that all is well, regardless of outer appearances.

There have been many days when reclamation has been an opportunity to clear out and organize an area of my home. Tiny micro projects like gathering books to donate, or cleaning out my pajama drawer, and so many others. Did you know you can radically change your life in 20 minute increments? That’s what it feels like, as more and more of these blessing times arrive every day.
Reclamation comes in subtle choices, saying no to things that aren’t needed, or just don’t fit well. It comes in speaking with gentle, compassionate honesty that helps everyone instead of swallowing back the truth.

It breathes new life into everyday situations, as gratitude grows, and the mundane becomes a beautiful poem. It helps find space within to face my own failings with love, compassion and forgiveness, which allows me to more readily forgive others.
Reclamation is gratitude and taking the lessons from the past, but not living there. Reclamation is trusting the future but not obsessing that I’m not there yet. Reclamation is accepting, loving, living and enjoying THIS MOMENT.

I’m reclaiming my life. Nice and slow 🐢. At a pace natural to me. We can all choose differently, if we would like.

No comments: